Ants are common household pests in the St. Louis area, and they can be more of an issue than you might think. Ants are everywhere during the warmer months, and some species are more dangerous than others. Most ants are considered nuisance pests that don’t pose health risks or cause property damage. But they can still be frustrating since they quickly spread and can seem to take over a home. All ants have the ability to contaminate food sources.
Knowing how to tell different ant species apart is helpful. If you know what kind of ants you are dealing with, you will be better able to figure out what will work to get rid of them. Here are some common species of ants found in the St. Louis area:
- Carpenter ants: These are one of the worst species to encounter as they chew through wood and are one of few ant species that can do a lot of property damage. They are best identified by their heart-shaped heads and the pincers they have near their mouths.
- Odorous house ants: While mostly a nuisance, this species is a problem because they emit a smell of rotten coconut when crushed. They are usually black or brown with an uneven thorax.
- Pavement ants: These ants are black and brown, and they are usually the kind you see hanging out on the sidewalk. They are tiny and have a classic ant look.
- Pharaoh ants: This species is the most likely to spread diseases as they are dumpster divers. They are usually yellow or orange.
Tips For Preventing Ants
There are some things you can do to make the inside of your home or business less attractive to ants. And there are also things you can do outside to make your property less inviting to ants. These tips will help inside and outside your home or business to make the area attractive to ants.
- Store food properly in containers with airtight lids.
- Make sure to clean up food spills and crumbs immediately.
- Keep trash cans secured with lids.
- Empty indoor trash regularly.
- Store pet food in airtight containers.
- Repair screens that have holes in them.
- Replace poorly fitted screens.
- Install door sweeps.
- Make sure outdoor garbage cans have secure lids.
- Don’t leave food outside when not eating it and clean up outdoor food messes immediately.
The Best Way To Prevent Ants
There are many simple things you can do on your own to reduce the likelihood of getting an ant infestation. However, the best way to prevent ants is to contact the pest control professionals at Arenz Pest Management. We can safely and effectively prevent ants before they become a problem, and we can also get rid of ant infestations if you’re already dealing with them. Reach out to us today.