However, despite the fact you likely don’t want rats in your home, it’s easy to forget just how dangerous and destructive they can be. Rats are one of the most harmful pests to have on your property, and they are also difficult to remove. They also have a dependent relationship on humans that they’ve developed over hundreds of years, and they need the proximity to food and the shelter that human properties provide.
What Do Rats Look Like?
While there are many species of rats found throughout the world, there are only two commonly found in St.Louis: the Norway rat and the roof rat. While they have similarities, Norway rats mostly live at ground level while roof rats are climbers who can get onto the upper levels of buildings and even rooftops.
There are also a couple of differences in how they look. Both Norway and roof rats are four-legged rodents with thick, scaly tails and black, beady eyes. However, Norway rats are brownish-gray while roof rats are black with paler underbellies. Adult roof rats are also slightly smaller at about eight inches long while Norway rats can get up to ten inches long. Roof rats also have longer tails in proportion to their bodies.
All The Health And Safety Problems Rats Cause
While some people don’t really mind rodents, others find them rather terrifying. But, even if you don’t mind them, rats are scary because of all the destruction they cause and the dangers they pose.
First of all, rats have teeth made to gnaw on things, and they will constantly chew on almost everything. They can damage plumbing and electrical wires which can lead to safety problems around your property, and they will also chew on things like drywall, plastic, and furniture.
However, the even bigger issue is that rats pose so many health concerns. Rats are known to:
- Carry around 35 different illnesses including hantavirus
- Cause respiratory issues if their feces builds up in a property
- Have parasites including fleas
- Cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks
- Even their droppings, urine, and fur can make you sick
Five Ways To Prevent Rats
Rats can cause so many major problems once they invade your home, but they can also be difficult to remove since they can slip inside holes and cracks as small as a quarter. They can also chew through wood and even older bricks to get inside of buildings. While it can be difficult to prevent them, there are some steps you can take to keep them out. Here are five of these steps:
- Make sure to seal up any cracks or holes in the walls of your home or business.
- Fix any broken screens in doors and windows.
- Work to make your property less appealing to rats by cleaning up food and drink spills, keeping dirty dishes out of the sink, and removing decaying fruits and vegetables from your property.
- Take indoor trash out often and keep outdoor trash cans fitted with lids.
- Trim trees, bushes, and shrubs away from the exterior of the building.
Get Rid Of Rat Infestations For Good
Since rats are so great at hiding and are very prolific, the best and most effective way to remove a rat infestation is to get help from the experts at Arenz Pest Control. Our technicians will remove the entire infestation and help prevent further ones. As a locally owned company with over 20 years of experience, we have developed high-quality, reliable methods of rodent removal, so you don’t have to keep dealing with these dangerous pests. Discover more about our rat control programs by calling us today at Arenz Pest Control. You can also book an inspection online.